Now that I'm graduated and have a full-time job, sometimes I do miss my old art days. I have so many memories from these shows I did while I was going to college. Even though I wasn't selling my art for very much money, there was a thrill in having my art bought, making some dough and seeing people so happy with their purchases. I really wish I blogged about these experiences as I went along...but Mindful Artiste wasn't born yet. Anyways, since it's been on my mind lately, I thought I'd share.




 So this was my first show. I was only seventeen. You can't see inside the tent, but it wasn't that pretty. Setting up shop takes experience. This was at the Fourth of July Street Fair in Ventura. It is still the largest show I've ever been a vendor at. But I learned big isn't always better. Since the show is about a mile long, people seldom stop. It feels like being in a fish bowl after a while. When there is soooo much competition, really no one wins. Also the vendor fee was pretty steep and I think I just barely made my money back.  But that was just the beginning....






Okay this was a fun one. This was at Moorpark college's Multicultural day. I was a student at Moorpark College at the time and people who knew me or recognized me on campus were happy to buy art. I made a lot of sales and it was certainly a joyous celebration. I had a lot of help setting and tearing down shop from volunteers and people were even happy to help chase down my art when it kept blowing away.





This was at the Canoga Park Third Thursday Art Walks. For a while they had an indoors component and that was cool. Because being inside while selling art is nice for a change and I even got to use some nails. The more people are able to see your art, usually the more they will buy. So...space is important. Anyways, this was another successful night.






Looky here. I'm all dolled up for opening night at a gallery. I wasn't pleased about being the only person whose art was on the big black brick wall. It doesn't scream art gallery in the pics. But I swear, it was in a gallery. To be precise, Galley Godo in Glendale. Anyway, while I made less money than doing the street shows (there was an entry fee and gallery cut), I was glad for the experience. It was interesting having the people who bought my art so incredibly impressed by me and it was nice being able to show my best work.




I got to borrow this hat for this pic. I was vendoring in the lobby of a rap event at the 118 west. Definitely a different kind of show for me. I think I was tired of not having any street events coming up that I just saw this event on Facebook and asked if I could vendor my art there. It's surprising what you can get just by asking. The two gentlemen on my right and left were very sweet to pose with me. I did feel pretty gangsta.




So this was another event for me that was a bit different. Artsy Flea was a backyard fundraiser to support the arts at the high school I went to. I, on the other hand, was an alumni vendor but they still let me join.  I loved the vintage vibe they decorated their whole yard with. I was moved by the super cool mom who held the event because she showed her daughter that you can make a difference however small.





This was at another Canoga Park Art Walk, This time outside...but I made it work!





This was a little art show I did in Eagle Rock in a very small room. It wasn't the best area but I ended up surprisingly having a very successful night. You never who is going to show up!




This was at the WeWitItLA.Com launch party. They had an art thing going on at the outdoor porch of the club. I have no idea which club anymore. I wasn't really even supposed to be there. I was twenty at the time. But no one hassled me. :)



So that's all for now. But who knows? Maybe I'll continue to do more shows in the future.




Here's my list of exhibitions/events:

2007 Verity Room, Canoga Park 
2008 Student Exhibit, California Institute of the Arts 
2009 4th of July Street Fair, Ventura
2009 Follow your Heart Café, Canoga Park
2009 EWM Fine Art Gallery, Claremont
2010 First Saturday, Simi Valley Town Center
2010 Moorpark College Review
2011 Monica Adrian Art Yard Boutique
2011 Support the Veterans Concert, Simi Valley
2011 Garbage and Glitter Music and Arts Festival, Simi Valley
2011 Kick Off Spring Break Music and Arts Festival, Simi Valley
2011 Art Eclectics at the Pasadena Playhouse
2011 Art and Music Benefit at Cornerstone Church, Simi Valley
2011 Multi-Cultural Day, Moorpark College
2011 Gallery Godo, Glendale
2011 Paint Ventura
2011 Artsy Flea, Simi Valley
2011 Beyond the Heavens Art Show, Cafe on A, Oxnard
2011 Outside the Frame Art Show, Eagle Rock
2011 Open Mic Night 3, Simi Valley
2011 We Wit LA website release party
2011 Freedom Fest,Rock City Studios Camarilo
2011 Ladies Night Arts for Action, Oxnard
2014 Multicultural Day, Moorpark College
2015 Multicultural Day, Moorpark College




Share on Google Plus

More From mindfulartiste

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment