Original Short Story- Coffee for Cleopatra



I didn’t have anywhere to go then for people to see my art, so I went there. The Coffee Grinder for me was a place of publicity. It was my only option in the suburbs as I was too young to drive out to the city. I drew always on the same large table so that I could fit my 18x24in sketchbook. I was an abnormal teenager in every respect. Abnormal in behavior as well as talent. I was told I was precocious before I even knew what the word meant. People mistook my color pencil drawings as paintings. I drew only women, provocative, and in bright colors that rebelled against realism.
Whatever friends my own age I had at the time I had lost. I had only art. Only dreams. Only a thirst to prove myself and an ambition that The Coffee Grinder could never quench. I belonged in an art gallery, not a coffee shop.
It’s a shame that my youth was wasted there. If my parents would have helped me they would have found someone important to talk to and they would have certainly responded. But no, I spent my time there, hoping to make some connection, to find someone to help me. I cared for the eyes that took the time to look through my portfolio and affirm my existence, the admiration that made me feel that all was not wasted. Once in a while I would find someone who was worth more than just praise and they would pay me to commission them a portrait of some sort.
It was in this way I always had plenty of money to pay for art supplies and fashionable clothes. I dressed like my artwork. I wore high heels wherever I went. It wasn’t about looking sexy to me; I just thought they matched the colorful dresses I wore better. They never really bothered my feet either and I liked how they balanced out my proportions. My torso was too long without them.
My art wasn’t the only thing people complimented. Being told I was the most beautiful artwork of all had become cliché with me.
            I would order coffee but I almost never remembered to drink it unless it was ordered for me.

I was drawing at The Coffee Grinder one afternoon when a tall, black, muscular man addressed me. He was interested in my art, like so many others, and was looking through my drawings as I was quite accustomed to people doing. He looked somewhat impressed but kept his face stoic and didn’t say much. I only figured that he was impressed because he looked through every single one of them in the monolithic stack. He then asked if he could have a seat in front of me in which I acquiesced.
“I’m a writer. I just published a novel, you know,” he said in an overly casual tone of concealed arrogance.
“Well that’s exciting. How is that going for you?” I asked politely but with hidden intrigue.
 He seemed to like this question and replied, “Well it’s going good. I got a new house, a new car, and by the time they get the book on the shelf I should have even more money in royalties.”
“Oh, so I can’t buy it yet?” I asked.
“No, but it’s coming. I write poetry too,” he added.
He had slightly Asian eyes in contrast to his ebony black skin. With his strong hands he opened up a brown leather journal.
“Would you like me to read one?” After I complied he said, “Well it’s kind of hard to understand, and I’m not sure you’ll get it.”
            He began to read his poem of deep words, with what I presumed had significant meaning, as I was having trouble comprehending its content. He read it in a deep and serious pitch, monotone, and hardly fluctuating. I imagined the poem was about some internal life struggle, or something of that nature. I had trouble concentrating but he wouldn’t let me read it on my own as if he was some great orator.
“Did you understand it any?” he asked when he finished. I told him what I knew and he said, “Well you got farther than most people.”  I should have known he was going to test me.
When he eventually asked, I told him I was fourteen. He didn’t look surprised like most people do to find someone so young creating art so advanced. Although, then again, his face hardly changed at all.
“Alright,” he said. “I’ll read you a poem you’ll understand.”
I indeed understood the second poem.  His intonation was more passionate as he read this one. “Throbbing, pulsing, burning!” he would repeat throughout the piece.
            “You understood what that one was about huh?” he asked me bluntly. I had a feeling he was trying to turn me on.
“Yes, I did,” I said so candidly it inspired a little chuckle from him.
“Are you a virgin?” he asked me brazenly.
It seemed like an odd question for a man his age to ask, but I answered it anyways.  “Yes, I am.”
“Well then how can you understand it?” he asked me slyly.
“It doesn’t take a genius to imagine.”
He chuckled again a little louder. “Do you touch yourself?” he asked me curiously.
I jumped slightly at the question. I could see the amusement in his eyes. I smiled uncomfortably but in a way that assured him of the answer.
The light in his greedy eyes sparked brighter. “May I ask how?” he said in a deceivingly relaxed tone.
“That, I will not answer,” I said curt and harshly, but he seemed to enjoy the mystery, and the increase of sass it brought out of me.
            We carried out conversation for quite some time, going back to talking about his writing and my drawings before he said, “I don’t even know your name.”
“It’s Dominique.”
“Dominique,” he repeated. “That sounds like a model’s name. “Dominique,” he repeated slower and more rhythmically. “I like that.”
“And your name is?” I asked.
“It’s Jordan. Jordan Davidson. You’ll be able to see that name soon.”
We had been chatting for so long I was getting quite hungry. “I need to get something to eat.”
“Do you want to get something together?” he proposed.
I had to find a way to avoid this. I was perfectly comfortable with talking to strangers but I had my own limits. “It’s just I have all this stuff here, and I don’t want to leave it. Normally I just go and get something over at The Coffee Grinder counter, even if it is expensive and not that great.”
“Well that’s okay. Why don’t we just put it in my car, and I can drive you anywhere you want to go.”
            I paused a moment and thought about it. I didn’t think he was going to pull anything too aggressive on me, especially since he kept bragging earlier about his girlfriend that just moved in with him. He showed me a picture of her on his cell phone. I didn’t really find her that attractive. She had mousy brown hair, glasses that didn’t make her look pretty or smart, and rather ordinary features. She was much curvier than me, with larger breasts that flowed out of her plunging neckline.
            “No thanks, I don’t feel comfortable doing that,” I declined.
“What? You don’t trust me?” he asked. “It’s because I’m black isn’t it? I’m not going to hurt you. Do you not trust me?"
“I have no reason to, I hardly know you,” I said.
 “Alright Dominique, I get you. You’re a smart girl, you know that?”
“I am hungry and I can’t leave my belongings here. I wouldn’t mind walking with you someplace if you could carry my stuff.”
 He gave me a look of obvious stupidity at my question and responded with, “Of course I can carry it, you kidding?”
He pointed out the window, “There’s a sandwich place over there. Do you want to go?”
I had my heavy purse with all my art supplies and a large portfolio with my entire collection of art I had made up to that point. Throughout the entire summer I had spent almost all my time drawing, so it was quite a burdensome load now.
I was walking a bit in front of him for he was moving at a much slower pace with the additional weight. I knew he was staring at my body, at the grayish-purple cotton cloth that tightened around my delicate back and swayed at my hips.
“This is kind of heavy,” he admitted mid-way through.
            When we arrived, I went to the register and started to fetch out some money in my purse but he insisted on paying for it. We sat down and he read me another sex poem. It didn’t sound much different from the previous one. I ate my food and avoided looking him in the eyes. I was uncomfortable and I had the feeling he could sense my nerves. I really regretted coming with him.
            “You know you’re like Cleopatra?”
            “What makes you say that?” I asked curiously.
            “Because you’re not very pretty,” he said flatly.
            “What?”
            “Cleopatra wasn’t very pretty. You have small tits like her.” A smile crept up on his lips as he stared at my affronted face. “But she was still able to get all the guys like Alexander because she was so very charming despite.”
            I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to feel flattered or insulted.
My sandwich tasted like crap. They put way too much mayonnaise on it. But on I went eating, since he paid for it, and I did not want to offend him, or have him think I was anorexic.
            “Do you think my girlfriend would have a problem with the two of us eating together?”
“I don’t think she would at all, because I’m not interested in you, and you’re not interested in me. As you said, I have small tits.”
“Yeah, you’re right,” he said, but a little injured beneath his monotone voice. “Why wouldn’t you be interested in me?” he then asked defensively in his arrogance.
“You’re too old.” I said frankly.
“I’m only twenty-two.”
“Yes, and that’s too old.” I couldn’t help but think he looked quite older, perhaps 26 or 28, but I figured maybe he just came off that way because he was so fit.
            When we returned to The Coffee Grinder he set down my belongings, and said he had to go. He gave me his phone number.
            He didn’t seem that nice of a person but he intrigued me either way, so I decided to call him. It wasn’t every day I met an author. I dialed his number and we had another conversation over the phone. 
“You're like my sister,” he told me midway through. Then he asked after a little more time passed by, “What color are your panties?”
 “Why do you need to know?”
 “What? Dominique? Don’t take me wrong like that. I ask my sisters all the time,” he said like I had suddenly attacked him.
“What! Why do you ask your sister’s that?”
“I ask all my seven sisters. It says what kind of mood they will be in for the day,” he explained.
“You have seven sisters?” I asked surprised.
Then he went off on a half hour tangent of how he grew up in Jamaica, and how he respected woman so much because he grew up with so many sisters. He told me all their names and their personalities, and how he was the favorite of them all. He droned on and on and wouldn’t let me interrupt him or change the subject like he was the most fascinating person in the world.
“You’re different Dominique,” he said. “Every girl wants me besides you,” he told me.
In my innocence I felt glad that he was happy to have me not like him like that.
“Every girl wants me, I can’t stand it,” he continued.
Then he went off on another digression of him not being able to go to a place without chicks staring at him like he was god’s gift to woman. Then he started gloating to me of how good he was in bed, and how much he could make a girl cum multiple times, and that they could never get enough of him, like I should sympathize with him for it.
“But you, Dominique, you’re different. You’re not like the other girls. You have so much more substance and intelligence.”
I believe it was this compliment that kept me on the phone.
 “What color underwear are you wearing?” he asked me again.
“It’s orange. So what does that mean?”
“Eh, um, that means you’re feeling sexual,” he replied.
“So what do all the other colors mean?” I wasn’t asking seriously, but his logic seemed dubious and I found it worth investigating.
 “Uh, black means your depressed, and red means your lusting for someone, and purple means your determined, and pink means your hopeful, white means your innocent, yellow means you’re happy, and blue means your depressed,” he explained.
“Doesn’t black and blue mean the same thing?”
“No, they don’t,” he denied.
“Yes they do, black and blue mean depressed. You said that twice.”
“Oh, well they mean two different kinds of depressed. Black means you miss something or someone, and blue means you’re lost,” he explained again trying to restore my faith.
 “What is the source you have for all this information?”
 He paused a moment and said, “My grandmother told me all of this when I was little.”
            “Your grandma told you to question woman’s underwear when you were a child?” He seemed at a loss for words. “All right whatever Jordan,” I said. I didn’t believe him, but I didn’t feel like fighting with him either.
We began talking again, and after the heat died down he asked me, “Hey Dominique, will you masturbate on the phone for me? I want to hear what you sound like.”
I can’t really tell you my reasoning. I didn’t find him attractive. I didn’t even really like talking to him. But for whatever reason, perhaps I felt pressured to, I got out my vibrator. It was late in the night and it was something I was planning to do regardless. It wasn’t a real vibrator but an old back massager I had found around the house. I put it on and I knew that I was supposed to moan for him but I didn’t. I just turned it on and complained about the batteries being low. He seemed bored or at least disappointed. I didn’t orgasm or ever call him again. It was clear that no honest friendship or resource would come out of it.

 A year after that I searched for his novel at the bookstore out of curiosity. The bookkeeper said that it hardly sold any copies, it was out of their system, and that the publisher had completely stopped printing it altogether.





Share on Google Plus

More From mindfulartiste

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment